Are you starting to feel the crunch? Today is December 12th and sadly, we no longer have twelve days until Christmas. The deadline no longer creeps, it looms. In addition to deadlines, we have the usual WNY winter weather, long lines, crazy traffic at the malls, and the guarantee of at least one challenging person on our list to contend with. Kirby's Farm Market is here to help! As I posted on facebook today, there are definitely benefits to taking your holiday shopping to the country.
* We have gobs of talented crafters out here creating quality gifts (by quality I mean the made-with-love-talent-and-pride type of quality). If you don't have time for homemade, then handmade and local is the next best thing. (More on these talented people in a moment.)
*There may be a lot of myths about the country but this one is true - we're all pretty laid back! Traffic is a tad more low key and lines are just a bit shorter (non-existent!) out here on the very Western edge of Monroe County. In the market the sound of Christmas music is relaxing, the glow of little lights and scent of balsam candles soothing.... sip a cup of hot, mulled cider as you wander, browsing in our gift shop.
*And finally, you know you can find something unique at Kirby's for just about anyone on your list. I have twelve suggestions.....
1. In the year that Tranquility Herbals has been around, we've seen a huge variety of herbal products come into the market. Jaime (Kirby) Brennan has been studying the art of herbology and applying it to the benefit of our every day lives. Nourishing teas to relax or invigorate, rubs for aching muscles, and a wonderful lip balm, just for a few examples. Show someone that you care about their health and well being by putting an herbal gift under the tree this year!
2. Men! They like to eat. For the men on your list we have a variety of mustards from Nunda, NY- Peppercorn, Tangy, and Honey Brew are just a few options. Seawards Chocolates are always a good bet whether they like milk, white or dark, caramel, sponge, or assorted.We also have over 35 types of jams, butters, and preserves. From Apple to Quince, we've got your morning toast covered.
3. A Taste of NY! We will definitely start this gift off with a nice stash of Kirbygrown apples, and Kutter's cheddar is always a perfectly complement to a crisp, empire. Maple Syrup will be perfect alongside New Hope Mills Buttermilk Pancake Mix. Finish off this treasure trove of delicious NYS flavor with a jar of Doan's Honey and some Maple Sugar Candy.
4. A Day at the Spa - you might not expect to create a Spa package at a farm market, but the price tag will be the most pleasant surprise. A bar of luxurious goat's milk soap from Nanny Naturals, a hand-knit washcloth, Miracle Grains facial scrub and herbal facial steam from Tranquility Herbals, comes to a grand total of $20. Every bit of it is made in Orleans County.
5. Afternoon Tea - we now carry a selection of 25 different teas from Tranquility Herbals. Unique gifts for the tea-lover on your list includes a collapsible infuser (strainer), a variety of lidded cups with tea infuser included, the "perfect scoop" to measure out loose leaf tea, and tea sets and mugs in hues of green and blue from local potter Deborah Wilson. Throw in a decorative and indestructible teabag saucer for good measure.
6. Windchimes! Definitely a unique gift. I will be the first to admit that while we all know someone with half a dozen windchimes in their backyard, not everyone appreciates the musical partnership of mother nature and a set of metal pipes. All we ask is that you stop by and play around with the dozens of windchimes we carry from Woodstock (another NY based company). Not only will the joyful poking and prodding of something that makes a lot of noise remind you of your childhood, the results of Woodstock's creative material combinations may just win you over. Prices start under $10 with an adorable set that is also perfect as a tree ornament!
7. Holiday Color - a splash of red, an armful of blooms, poinsettias make excellent holiday gifts for the people on your list that don't really need anything. Easy to care for with extremely long lasting 'flowers', they'll brighten any room. We still have a good selection of poinsettias in our greenhouse, but don't wait too long! Certain colors are selling out.
8. For the organized person on your list (or maybe someone that could use a little more organization in their life) we have beautiful stationary. Notepads of all sizes, all under $5 and perfect for stocking stuffers or as a little gift. Tiny pocket sized; medium purse sized with matching pencil; and one with a magnet, perfect for jotting notes in the kitchen. We also have special calenders designed to sort out the events of the week, and big desk calenders, handy folders for phone numbers... even recipe cards! All with great art, all under $20.
9. For new arrivals - An adorable package from Tranquility Herbals created for new mothers and their little ones! Contains a hand-knit, organic washcloth, Rosy Bottom Salve, all-natural Baby Powder, and Cradle Cap Oil.
10. Scent with Love - Our collection of scented items has really grown this year. We were excited to add Sandy Creek Candles of Kendall, NY in 2009 and 100% Essential Oils of Aura Cacia this year. Sandy Creek crafts wonderfully scented votive and jar soy candles that last 50% longer then traditional paraffin candles. Holiday scents are Balsam, Cinnamon Strudel and Christmas Cabin. Or put together a little package of diffuser reeds, essential oil and a vessel of your choice for another way to scent the holidays. It's as easy as that!
11. Sweet and Simple - pair any of our festive mugs with a carton of delicious hot chocolate mix from Aspen. We have 10 holiday mugs to choose from, as well as a selection of mugs that will be great for any season.
12. Haven't heard the right one yet? A gift certificate from Kirby's Farm Market is like giving someone hundreds of opportunities to choose from. Whether they decide on a gorgeous flowering plant next Spring, a basket of the world's juiciest, freshest fruits in Summer (no, I'm not biased), or a wagonful of gourds and pumpkins in the Fall, we are here to show them the joys of homegrown. With four gorgeous WNY seasons, and hundreds of varieties of fruits and vegetables to choose from, they'll have a lot of fun with that little piece of paper. Gift Certificates are available at Kirby's in any amount.
* We would be happy to help you but together a special gift package. Place an order over the phone (585)637-2600 or at the market, and we'll have it ready for you by Christmas!