Roasted tomatoes are a particular obsession of mine. The caramelized, sweet, flavor of a roasted tomato is just amazing. I hope you try it out before the homegrown tomatoes are gone for another season, you’ll be glad you did! Plum tomatoes work best (especially San Marzanos) but any tomato will work. I like my roasted tomatoes to be almost chewy, so I’ll leave them in until they get to just the right amount of roasted. Sometimes I’ll pour off juice to speed things along.(Tossing a head or two of garlic into the mix is always a good idea too!) Roasting as many tomatoes as I can get my hands on and stashing them in the freezer, is an important project every summer.
A long turn in the oven gives these juicy plum tomatoes good caramelization, lending sweetness to their robust flavor.
- Olive oil for greasing pan plus additional for drizzling (optional)
- 6 large plum tomatoes (1 1/2 lb), halved lengthwise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Oil a shallow baking pan.
Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in 1 layer in pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast tomatoes until skins are wrinkled and beginning to brown on bottom, about 1 hour. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm, covered with tented foil (do not let foil touch tomatoes), until ready to serve. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cooks’ note:Tomatoes can be roasted 2 hours ahead and cooled completely, then kept, covered with plastic wrap, at room temperature. Reheat in shallow baking pan in a preheated 350°F oven until tomatoes are heated through, about 10 minutes.
A Few Serving Suggestions:
- Toss roasted tomatoes and roasted garlic in a blender with some olive oil and fresh basil. Instant sauce!
- Create a different kind of capris salad with roasted tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Replace your usual tomato ingredient in penne alla vodka with roasted tomatoes for an extra punch of flavor.
- Layer cheddar and roasted tomatoes between rustic bread for an amazing grilled cheese sandwich.
- Top a pizza crust with chopped roasted tomatoes, fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella, then bake!
- Toss with roasted broccoli, roasted red peppers, and roasted garlic and serve with pasta.