Moroccan Eggplant Stew
This is a filling vegan stew that's great for a cool summer night (but delicious enough to make when it's hot too!). Feel free to add a minced hot pepper for a little spice. The blend of spices is a nice change of pace!
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Medium Locally Grown Onion, Chopped
2 Locally grown Carrots
2 Cloves Kirbygrown Garlic, Minced
1/4 tsp ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsps salt, or to taste
2 Tablespoons Chile Powder OR 1 Tablespoon Paprika and 1 Tbsp ground Cumin
2 Kirbygrown Bell Peppers, cut in 1/2" chunks
1 Large Kirbygrown Eggplant, Italian or Japanese
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1.5 pounds Kirbygrown Tomatoes, chopped
- Cut the eggplant in half, then in half inch slices. You don't have to peel it! Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat, then saute onion until lightly browned.
- Add carrot, garlic, and spices. Cook until carrots are crisp tender, stirring frequently.
- Add peppers, tomatoes, chickpeas, and eggplant. Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, until eggplant is very tender and just beginning to break apart. If at any point the stew begins to dry out and stick, add a little tomato juice or vegetable broth, or even water.
- Serve over roasted spaghetti squash, couscous, or cauliflower rice.